Monday, July 6, 2009

Poems

Okay, over my vacation (seen in the post below this one), I have formed a collection of "homemade" poems. Enjoy!


Beautiful Earth

Fact'ries torment the Earth,
While clouding the Sun in the sky.
Burning long-dead animals
For their deathly fuels.
Humans claim to conquer the Earth,
While she tries bravely
To keep from collapsing,
Under the weight of
Human hands.
We rip up the mountains,
The oceans,
Our land, her land, God's land.

Now we are dying, yet still overwhelming
Our poor little Earth.
Trash in air,
Trash in water,
Trash in land, trash on land.
People feel guilty for
Deathly polluting
Our beautiful planet.
The only one with life,
The only one we know of,
Beautiful Earth.
Gasping for clean air,
Beautiful Earth.
Thirsty for clean water,
Beautiful Earth.
Can't find a clean place to sit,
Beautiful Earth.


Ivy
Ivy covers
The ruined castle,
Soon to decay,
Just to flourish again
When the next round
Of kingdoms
Arrive.
The castles go up,
The buildings come down,
New rulers,
New people.
Dead rulers,
Dead people.

We rise up,
We fall down.
Yet the mountains
Stay firm.
Though building up
And eroding,
They stay firm.
Humans claim
To rule the world,
Though we forget
What we came here for,
We can change sides,
Work with nature,
Not against it.

Animals must think of us
As crazy,
We claim to rule,
But our rein
Rises and falls
Within itself,
And ivy covers
Our cobwebbed
Treasures.


Nature's Beauty
The sea is not a
Trashcan,
It's an
Apartment,
A house,
A park,
A shelter,
A
Lifeline.
Holding
Fish,
Crustaceans,
Giant mammals,
An assortment
Of other
Invertebrates.
The ocean holds them all,
A giant apartment,
Free rent!
There is
Houses,
Playgrounds,
Food,
Shelter,
Within.
A bright reef
Of coral
Is a perfect place
To play hide-and-seek.
The flourishing,
Green,
Forests of seaweed
Are great for an
Adventure.
Dolphins prefer the
Open waters
To play tag.
The waves ate gentle
In what appears to be
Nowhere,
Yet it may be the capital
Of the ocean.
Predators hunt their
Prey.
Even cute ones,
Dolphins,
Can be vicious.
The fish are
Stripy,
Spotted,
Plain.
Others get bored,
And change,
Octopi do.
Wonderful things
Thrive underwater,
Hidden from us.
We are blinded to see
Only a greenish
Blue,
Unless we dive
Under,
Deeper,
Loaded with mechanics,
So we can see
Nature's beauty.


Waves
Waves crash over the
Sunbaked sand
As the tide comes in.
Frothing white
And foamy,
Settling to a
Clear,
Deep,
Blue.
They pick up
Sand,
Rocks,
Shells.
Clams bury deep,
Hoping not to be
revealed.
The waves uncover
The buried treasure,
As seagulls swoop down
To dine.
Miniature creatures also dig,
Down,
Down,
Down,
To avoid the tide.
Water tosses the
Glass,
Rocks,
Shells,
Making them smooth,
Making them sand.
The waves push around the
Freshly made sand,
Grinding it,
Grinding it,
Smaller.
Smaller.
Rolling and tumbling,
Spinning the froth,
Faster and
Faster.
Seaweed gets tangled
In a giant wave,
Pulled from it's roots
Getting stranded onshore,
Bubbling and baking on the sand.


Filled with Smiles
Little acts of kindness
Can go a long way.
Help someone feel better,
Make their life a little easier.
If everyone just did
One small bit of love,
The world would be a better place,
It would be filled with
smiles,
It would be filled with
Laughter,
It would be filled with
Peace.


Sky

Blending colors,
Going through
Soft blue to
Lavender to
Rosy Pink to
Orange to
Crimson to
Navy to
Black.
The stars pierce through
Like little needles,
And the moon is a
Hole punch.
The colors rewind,
Appearing to go
Back in time,
And the Sun comes up,
A flame,
Warming the sky.


Fire

Flames curl up
And smoke
And burn,
Blackening the wood
Placed before it.
Burning through a rage
Of colors,
Red,
Orange,
Yellow,
Then burning brighter,
Hotter,
In blue
And white.
Then the fire dies down,
Having covered it's surroundings in
Soot,
And all that remains
Is ashes.


This one I don't really like. It's not that good. I highly suggest not reading it. I don't think this is worth your time.
Why
Why,
It's a meaningful word.
Why,
It holds many questions.
Why,
The answer holds bounteous knowledge.
Why,
It holds well in many cases.
Why,
It goes to infinity.
Why,
You question with another question,
Why?



So.......there it is. Or maybe I should say "there they are". Who cares? I don't. Well...maybe I do. Please tell me which is your favorite and why. If you say you have a bunch of favorites, you are going to have to write a lot in your comment.
Again, please read about my vacation below.

11 comments:

Janine said...

Tyra, I love all of your poems, but especially the first one about the earth, and the one titled waves. You have a great way of putting the images into words and sharing them! Thanks for putting these up!

Brian said...

Hi TZ: My favorite lines: "The stars pierce through / Like little needles, / And the moon is a / Hole punch." Nice job! Love, UncaB

Anne said...

Don't stop!

Tom Draper said...

I love these poems. Thanks for posting them. I can't wait to see more.

gramalee said...

Ivy is still my favorite because of the "cobwebbed treasures" line and the theme. But WOW! I love the new ones: Sky and Fire. And that alliteration -- "Pulled from itS rootS, getting Stranded onShore, Bubbling and Baking on the Sand" is a way way cool sound and image!
Aunt Annie is right! Don't stop! xoxoxo

twd said...

I liked the "little acts of kindness". Probably because I need to think about kindness more.

Here is one of the early poems of Sylvia Plath:

Admonition
If you dissect a bird
To diagram the tongue
You'll cut the chord
Articulating song.

If you flay a beast
To marvel at the mane
You'll wreck the rest
From which the fur began.

If you pluck out the heart
To find what makes it move,
You'll halt the clock
That syncopates our love
--Sylvia Plath circa 1953
___________

BTW Ms. Plath is buried in the same churchyard as your pre-17th century Draper ancestors (on both sides) in Heptonstall, England.
____________

BTW2 Remedy-os La Belle found some high quality Getty art pencils under the couch cushion. Are they yours?

rigel said...

I don't think my poems are nearly as good! My favorite is beautiful earth.

LisAway said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!! Thanks for posting these Tyra, and I love the additions. I still love Beautiful Earth and Waves the best, I think (just like Janine!) but My mom is right about Ivy.

You are wise beyond your years, I think.

Linda said...

I marvel at these words
from the pen of my grandchild
at the edge of womanhood
I savor her gentle goodness
and increasing wisdom
and wrap her lines about me
like a quilt of soft light
and feel a comfort
both new and old
of the past, the future
and of now.


Thank you dear for sharing.

Angela Draper said...

Tyra your poems truly amaze me! I think my fav is "Ivy". However "Waves" and "Filled with Smiles" are right up there, too. Thank you so much for sharing your talent!

Tyra said...

Thanks, thanks, thanks! I'm glad you guys are all finally commenting and looking at my blog again. I don't mean to be selfish, but I got kind of lonely when there were only two or three comments. I bet most of you came because dad put me in the spotlight on mom's (but she now never posts anymore) blog. Thanks, thanks, thanks!